The July 11 bombing, two years later
Denyse Renne firstname.lastname@example.org
Two years later, the perpetrators of the July 11, 2005, bombing on Frederick Street, Port of Spain, are still to be caught.
Following the July bombing, three others followed-George Street, Port of Spain, on August 10; in the dumpster of KFC, Independence Square branch on September 10 and outside Smokey and Bunty's in St James on October 8.
The file on all four bombings were submitted to Commissioner of Police Trevor Paul sometime in October 2005.
Three senior officers, former head of the Criminal Investigations Department Snr Supt Leon Anthony (now retired), Supt Martin Morain and Sgt Harvey Jawahir were appointed by Paul, hours after the July blast, to probe the incident.
The officers followed several leads and interviewed various people.
One of the leads they followed was the possible link of the bombings to contracts not being issued to several criminal elements in the construction and refurbishments of schools in the Port of Spain area.
Speaking with the Sunday Express during a recent interview, one of the investigators who did not want to be named, said the investigation is still ongoing.
"The probe is still ongoing, we have information coming in and the file has not been closed on this case," the investigator said.
"An interim file has been handed in to Commissioner of Police Trevor Paul, but what we have so far is information and not evidence," the investigator added.
Five people were involved in the explosions, the investigator said, "based on information received the first explosion on Frederick Street was not supposed to injure anyone. It was geared at causing panic, that is why the other explosions ( the George Street and KFC bombings) were placed in an isolated type area and less explosive ingredients were used," the investigator said.
More than 65 people have been interviewed in connection with the four bombings and various hotlines were established for members of the public to share information.
Local law enforcement agencies were assisted by members of the Federal Bureau of Investigations in trying to ascertain the components used in making the bombs.
Forensic tests revealed that a component of potassium chloride had been used in all four blasts.
A bomb squad was also re-established weeks after the first explosion.
Several police officers trained in bomb detection and explosive handling were expected to be posted at various police stations throughout the country.
Following the explosion, both Prime Minister Patrick Manning and National Security Minister Martin Joseph publically stated they had a "good idea" who the perpetrators were.
Manning hinted on October 17, 2005, in the House of Representatives that "the Government of T&T at this time has a good idea of who "Mr Big" is in this matter."
However, they were quick to add there is a difference between information and evidence.
Two whole mudder cont years and these duncee head fockin Police cyah solve something like a bombing in Trinidad.
Just imagine if this was is the States or Canada. Look at wa happen in England just the other day. In two fockin twos they had fockin suspects in custody.
Here, nah, big mudder cont Manning "oh we know who Mr. Big is!"
Two fockin years and not one mudder cont ting.
Nigga people, nigga police!